Javerlhac is situated in Perigord Vert (Dordogne department, 24300)
in the heart of the parc Perigord-Limousin
36 km from Angoulême (16, Charente), city
12 km from Nontron (24 Dordogne), small town
55 km from Périgueux (24), city
A short history
Javerlhac, the name comes from a latin name but from a celtic origin (jabreille – county of goats)
It is attested in 1st century B.C. by the inventory of the funeral remains in the cave “les Ormes” (between 60 and 45 B.C.)
When the train station was built, they found the ring of a roman knight and also gallo-roman and merovingian graves.
The parishes La Chapelle Saint Robert and Javerlhac formed one commune in 1823.
Local history is recounted by the notebooks “Cahiers de la Chapelle St Robert”. Please contact the webmaster for information.
On the territory of the commune are four national heritage sites “monuments historiques”
The castle and church in the village of Javerlhac,
Forgeneuve, a small hamlet with two bridges on the road to la-Chapelle-St-Robert and a former royal forge dating back to 17th - 18th century.
In the village la-Chapelle-Saint-Robert a roman church (11th century). It recently has been renovated.
Two other features of equal importance:
one called Pierre Virade, the other la fontaine des amours (the fountain of love).
Last update : 29/05/2015 • 10:11
Category : Menu - Javerlhac history
Page read 70408 times